Saturday, April 27, 2013

Serious Business

I think I may have mentioned this before, but, like many people, I struggle with wanting to be perceived in a particular way. It may not be any of the stereotypical images. I have no hope for the machismo, tough guy act; No taste for the fun-fun-fun-party dude; And don't want the hassle of the ladies man. No, I go for the responsible, straight-shooting, prepared, capable, clean-cut (though not afraid of hard and dirty work) angle. Think Leave it to Beaver without the corny acting.
But there is another element of my image that a friend recently brought to my attention: the desire to be taken seriously. That is something that I would think a lot of people want at least in some area of their lives. Being perceived as serious is hard because it depends so much on the person perceiving. Anyone can look at a party guy and tell, "that's a party guy." Or see a guy with the bulk, the bandana, and the strut and tell, "that's a tough guy." But unless a person is serious about the same things you are serious about (or at least respects those things), they will not take you seriously. Just look at our political system; lots of serious people (I hope), but they don't take each other seriously (or at least they don't want their constituents to take the opponents seriously when they disagree on issues or have different agendas). The point is, it isn't up to us whether or not people take us seriously.
Take me for example. I'm in my mid-twenties teaching k-12 music in a small community where everyone knows everyone--or at least knows about everyone. I have been living here for the better part of a year now, and just this week (at our spring concert) a couple from the community (a little younger than me, I might add) finally realized that I was NOT one of the students, but in fact the teacher. It's hard to be taken seriously when you look younger than some of the students for whom you are responsible. Is there anything I can do about that? A little. I can work hard and do a good job, and people may notice. But short of growing facial hair (which I can't do), going bald (which I don't want to do), or drawing wrinkles on my face and investing in cardigans (though cardigans aren't a bad idea...hmmm) there is no look I could take on that people would see and know, "he's in charge."
So what.
Who cares! God made me this way. God called me to this job of working with teens. God doesn't make mistakes. Who cares what other people think. Sure, it would be nice if my students took me a little more seriously (I really think the facial hair might help), but God never called me to make people take me seriously. He called me to serve.
We are given some very clear mandates in the Bible, but changing people's perspectives of ourselves isn't one of them. Yes, we are to live above reproach. Yes, we are to live in such a way that unbelievers might see our good deeds and glorify God. But guess what, people are going to reproach us anyway. Many of us have seen the damage gossip mills can produce with the slightest and most innocent piece of information (side note: the Bible does say Don't Gossip). And although one day every knee will bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,  for now many people are going to see our good deeds and say, "that's a waste of time and effort," and all kinds of other nasty things.  
That's not our problem!
When we are about the Lord's business--when we are walking through life with God, listening to his voice, following the instruction of his word and spirit--there are a great number of people in this world who will not take us seriously. How do I know this? Because they don't take God seriously. The prophets of the Old Testament, the disciples of the New Testament, and Jesus Christ himself were none of them taken seriously. Joseph dreamed that he would rule over his family, and his brothers mocked him and schemed to kill him. Paul preached the Gospel, and was stoned seemingly to death for it. David was told he was too young and too small to face a giant. The disciples were accused of being drunk when the Spirit came on them and caused them to speak in tongues.
God never promised that our voice would be heard. He never said that our message would be believed. He never called us to honor ourselves. God is calling us to honor him in all things, to follow him through all things, and to trust him with all things...including my reputation.

No comments: