Sunday, July 31, 2016

Is Time on Your Side?

Why do you think it is that God created us to be so hopeful and imaginative about our futures, but then only gives us enough time, energy, and resources to accomplish a small fraction of what we imagine? Every summer I run into this problem. I start the summer with such great ambitions and intentions and before you know it August is rolling around and I haven't started three quarters of what I had hoped to accomplish. This summer I was sure that I had set the bar reasonably; not too much, all doable, easily paced out over two-and-a-half months. I would say I've accomplished half of it, but that other half is going to be a doozy to pack into the next two weeks. How does this happen?!
I don't fault God for any of it. He created us to be creative. He gave us interests and ambitions so that we would enjoy moving forward in our creativity and efforts. And he does need to give us some parameters to abide by so that we don't go too crazy and try to build a skyscraper up to the heavens (like those guys I mentioned last week). Some of our ideas might seem great, but really should not be allowed to take form.
Can you imagine what it would be like to encounter the perfect summer (a la Phineas and Ferb), wherein you accomplish everything you could possibly imagine? What would you do after that? What's the point any more?
"What should we do this summer?"
"We could visit the miniature swamp volcanoes of the south Peruvian islands."
"Nah, we did that last summer."
The perfect summer can only possibly be followed up by the least interesting summer of all time. That's just the way we're wired. Oh, sure, we can still have a great summer. But there will always be something more to try for next year. It's like every comedian knows, you always end the show while they're still laughing; leave them wanting more. And as long as we are on this earth we will always find ourselves coming just short of being satisfied.
There will never be enough time. There will never be enough money, food, friends, adventures, or accomplishments. There will never be enough because we weren't built to be satisfied by anything on this planet or in this universe. We were built to enjoy it, certainly. But we were not intended to find our fulfillment in it. That we can only find in one place; a relationship with Jesus Christ, our creator and savior.
Ultimately, that is what God wants for us. So why should he give us unlimited resources to match our seemingly unlimited imagination? Just look at those people who seem to have it all. Do they appear satisfied in their accomplishments. Last I checked those people were generally miserable and still scrambling for more time. Think about it. Ashley Montagu explained it well when she said, "The idea is to die young as late as possible." They are all striving for immortality on earth. Even the wealthy don't have enough time.
But do you know who has all eternity? It's those crazy people who rather than pursuing fame and fortune have chosen to follow Jesus. That's what I'm banking on. My summer may be coming to an end, but that's okay because I have all the time in eternity to dream up more crazy projects and adventures.
It's not an exclusive club either. Anyone can join, but there is only one way in and there is a deadline. Jesus told his disciples, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." He is the only place to find true fulfillment and complete satisfaction for all eternity.
And on that note, I guess I'm okay with summer coming to an end so soon. Now where did I put my scarf and gloves?

No comments: