Saturday, January 13, 2007

*tap, tap, tap* "Concert 'A', Please."

Some times I wonder, 'what's all this going to come to?', 'how's this all going to turn out?', 'years down the road will what I did today even matter?'
Of course all of these thoughts aren't in context of "The Big Picture". Rather they are thoughts more closely related to things like my studies, my hobbies; the things I research because I have to, and the things I look into because I want to. All this knowledge I'm gaining, will I ever use it for anything more than what I'm doing right now? Or will it be the stuff that I'm still doing twenty years down the road? And am I going to even like doing it twenty years down the road?
Then that brings up another question: Does what I'm going to like doing even matter? God called lots of people to live entire lives doing things that they didn't like doing. Just cause I enjoy doing something doesn't mean that's what I've been 'called' to do. So, it's back to square one.
Then there is the matter of gifting. I've been gifted in these areas. It would be a shame to waste those gifts. There must be some reason I have them. So, I might as well pursue the areas I'm gifted in.
Ah, but here is the thing that I've come to find out about myself: I am a surface level natural at most things. This means that I have the ability to pick things up fairly quickly (not always right off the bat, but with a short amount of time), but I don't usually hold on to them for very long. I learn the basics, and I become capable of doing a decent job. But it rarely gets much better than that. I reach a goal in that area, and then I move on to the next skill. Jack of all trades, master of none.
This leaves one to wonder: Is there any one area in which I am gifted? Is there anything that I can really pursue?
I don't know. I have absolutely no idea. That's why I'm here. I'm just going to grab hold of something that I never thought I could have, and I am going to chase it as far as I can. My whole life I never thought I would pursue anything in the field of music. I knew that I wouldn't be able to "make it big". So, I just played at my natural basic level.
Then at some point I decided it was time to focus on something. No more jumping around from project to project; skill to skill. It's been interesting and difficult. I'll be holding on and doing a good job sticking to my guns. Then something will come up, and I'll get side-tracked on some new thing for a bit. But I'll catch myself and get back on track with my practicing.
It's a strange thing, something I've never thought about before. Throughout my life I've tried many skills, and lots of different types of projects. But the skill I always come back to is music. There are tons of different things that I've done once and never really cared to do again. I put together a 500 piece puzzle once by myself. I then thought I'd do another, but that didn't happen. I realize puzzle-putting-together (is there a word for that, cause I couldn't think of one) isn't much of a skill, but that's just my mind set about projects. I do one and learn what it takes to do it until it's done. Then I think 'maybe I'll do another one of those some time', but I never do. I don't usually go back to that kind of project ever again.
I've come back to music though. I keep coming back to music. It seems like when ever I start to lose my desire to keep learning music something happens that brings me right back.
Maybe I am on the right track for my future. Even if tomorrow I wanted to be an astronaut, chances are the next day I would be, yet again, thrilled with the idea of being a musician.

1 comment:

Elaine Butler said...

I like it.
Wish I could be a musician when I grow up :o)
Somehow, life happens all around you, and the things that you practiced enough to be easy get to stay. Everything else has to make room for the urgent.