Saturday, February 03, 2007

But What Will I Wear?!?

You know those things that you always thought, or still think that you would/will get away from after high school. I'm sure the list is different for everyone. Some people probably want to get away from their families, some from their town, and some just want to get away from specific peers who annoy or abuse them. The trouble is, even though you can leave one culture for a new one, all across the world man is still the same. No matter where you go there will always be those people who get on your nerves, or who will try to abuse you. People are people, and people are fallen, messed up, broken beings.
The thing that brings this up isn't a problem that has to do so much with people. Right now I'm thinking of something that I probably could get away from if I went to live in a different enough culture. School formals.
In high school I never went to them...okay, that's not true, and you can find my posts to prove it. I only went to my Junior and Senior year proms. But going into college I was kind of hoping I wouldn't have to worry to much about that aspect of our society for a while--especially going to a christian college. Well so much for that.
March 3rd, Winter Formal. Woo hoo. (that's a very droll and sarcastic 'woo hoo' in case you couldn't tell) I knew from the moment I saw the first advertisement that I wasn't going to go. But, as always my friends seem to think that I just need a big enough nudge in the right direction. There is one guy I know who told one of our mutual friends that he wouldn't consider going unless I went. He must have caught on early to the fact that I was serious when I told them I wasn't going to go. Smart guy. So what does our mutual friend do? She starts working on me; trying to convince me that I'll be missing something, or that she could find someone for me to take, or that I need to go for some reason. I don't blame her. She just doesn't understand what I mean by "I'm not going to go". And she probably thinks she's trying to help me.
At lunch today the subject came up. Our mutual friend wasn't there, but the other guy was(we'll call him James), and this other other guy('Fred') was trying to help us through our "problems". First it's the financial (that was the excuse James was riding on), then it's the confidence ('it's not that hard to ask a girl'), then it's the tactics ("Ten steps to getting your dream date for the big night"). I kept telling him 'it has absolutely nothing to do with any of that'. He kept asking me to explain what it was. I told him "It's psychological. I can't even explain it to you. I've tried before, but people just don't understand." Well, all I got from that was a jesting "you should pay a visit to such-and-such, the psych teacher". After a while I figured out what it was: He thought I had a problem. So I told him, "I don't have a problem, so why are you trying to fix it as if I do?"
The conversation didn't go anywhere after that. Just a few circles around topics that were already covered.
But here I am, still hashing my way through this social bog of people who seem to think there is something wrong with a guy that doesn't jump at the chance to dance with a girl. But I don't think there is anything wrong with me. I'm just patient.

5 comments:

Elaine Butler said...

Your great-grandparents would be proud. All of them.

Elaine Butler said...

Well, maybe I can't say all of them. Just the ones on my side. The hill-billies on the other side would probably be proud too, but for entirely different reasons. They think you should skip the prom and go straight to the shot-gun wedding.

Elaine Butler said...

Not that I'm against dancing. I taught 300 children how to square dance last week. Next time I'm taking Airborne every day and washing my hands after every class, though. This cold is no fun!

Michael said...

Haha, thanks mom.

In the end said...

You wont jump on a chance to dance with a chick? MAN WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!?! (sarcasm)