Sunday, February 18, 2007

*Sung* I've Been Workin' On My Home Work

It's been a pretty crazy last couple weeks.
The week before this last one I went on my college's music tour. 150 students, a handful of chaperons, two vans, three trailers, one small bus with a wheelchair lift, and one mondo big bus. Four days--Thursday through Sunday. Seven performances in all. Three schools, three churches, and one retirement home. Jacksonville, Medford, Ashland, Roseburg, and a couple other towns. I was playing trumpet, singing in the concert choir, men's choir and chamber choir. Set up and take down six times (twice a day for three days). It was intense.

Then this last week I had to give a speech. Technically it was supposed to be ready by Monday in case my name was drawn, but it wasn't ready. Yet, for some reason the Lord spared me. Enough people signed up to give their speeches that day that I didn't have to give mine. Come Wednesday my speech still wasn't quite where I wanted it to be, but yet again enough people signed up, and the Lord spared me Wednesday. Come Friday only two of us were left that had to give their speeches. Thank the Lord mine was ready by then. I still don't know if it was too long or not, but it went over pretty well.
Monday the teacher for my writing class didn't show up. So when Wednesday came around and I didn't have my outline for my paper ready to turn in (because all my time had been devoted to my speech), the Lord spared me yet again by delaying the due date on the outline. It would have been delayed till Monday, except that there is no school Monday. This gives me plenty of time to do some research so I'll have an idea of what my outline should look like.
I didn't deserve any of this. It would have been completely right for me to have been caught each and every time, and for my grade to have been docked for it. For a while I couldn't decide whether it was just God showing his love for me and that He's here for me, or if he is just delaying my punishment until I am so far behind that I will really learn my lesson. But then I realized it could very well be both. He is showing me that he cares about me and that he knows what I'm going through and how I feel about all this stuff, and that He's here for me. But if I don't learn my lesson now, it will eventually get to a point where I will be caught, and it will be all my fault.
I wrestled with this whole thing. I'm still wrestling with it in a way. I mean, like I said before, I deserved to be graded down. Some teachers wouldn't even have allowed me to make up the ground if the assignment wasn't done. But God didn't put me in classes with those teachers. He put me right where I am. And He has been watching over me.
It drives me crazy. Why? Why would He do that? I had no right to be spared. I deserved to fail. And yet, when I called on His name He heard my cry. I hear my friends talk about their impossible teachers. My friends who work hard and get their assignments done early and well. And yet they have teachers who tear them apart and leave them feeling more abused than educated. Why couldn't God have spared them? I'm sure He could have.
But each of us has our own lessons to learn. Not necessarily academic lessons. But lessons in patience, trust, hope, peace...etc. Lessons in the things of the spirit.
Please change me God.

1 comment:

Fencemender said...

Why? Because He loves you, silly rabbit! It's called grace. Walk in it and don't waste this favorable time. It may only be for a season.
That's not to say that your suffering friends are outside of grace, but that they are being stretched in order to appreciate their time of grace.