Friday, January 25, 2008

God Has An Accent

This particular post is going to be centered around a concept that I have described in a previous post. I can't seem to locate the exact post from among the myriads of posts I've published on this here blog. But I know it is in there somewhere.
The concept I speak of is the effects of reading upon my personal use of language. By this I mean, how what I read effects the way I talk and the way I write.
To use the examples from the previous post on this subject: when I read abstract and absurd works I begin talking and writing in abstract and absurd ways (more than usual). When I read poetry I write more poetically.
And when I read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn--like I am right now for my history/American literature class--I have a tendency to talk(at least while no one is listening) like Huck. Granted, I don't find the n word flying out of my mouth. But the dialect becomes the medium through which my thoughts pour out.
I was thinking about this while I was walking along today. This was just after I had spent over half an hour reading Huck Finn. I like reading out loud, especially when it's something--like Huck Finn--that gives me the opportunity to try out some different accents. So as I'm walking along I have this accent fresh on my tong. I also like thinking out loud when I'm by myself. So I was thinking about this whole concept that I've been describing to you. And I thought:
'When ever I have been reading, I have a tendency to think, talk, and write like what I've been reading. When I read Huck Finn, I think, and talk like Huck Finn...' and so on as I have described already. This next part, however, is something very interesting that caught me by surprise. 'So if I want to be thinking, talking, and writing about the things of God, what book do I think I should be reading?'
........
Did you see what happened there? Yeah, I got myself good.
But seriously, It's an interesting thought.
Somewhere in the course of last term I was trying to figure out where in the Bible I should read next. I had been through the new testament a few times in the previous years. I had gone through the epistles more than a couple times, and some more than others. I could go for another round, but I thought that I needed to be somewhere else.
Now usually when you think 'Old Testament' you don't think a whole lot of life changing practical application. Sure there is a lot of amazing stuff about our Awesome God. But there isn't very much direct instruction for the church.
Anyway, I started in Judges.
Somewhere around the middle of the term I was reading through first or second Samuel. During this time I was noticing in my life that even though there wasn't a whole lot of drastically life altering practical application stuff (at least that I could see...I still haven't taken Bible study methods) I could see in my life the effect of reading continually about my God and the way he works in, and through, and in spite of people. Simply keeping my mind on the things of God, that's all it was. And that makes a difference.
I need to keep reminding myself of that. In all this hurry to keep up with my studies, and all the moving about and endless days, I want to remember who I live for. I want to remember who it is that makes life worth living. I want Him to be in my thoughts, and in my words, and in my deeds; all of them.
I'm not perfect--not even close. But He hasn't given up on me, and He finishes what He starts.

2 comments:

Emily, a traveler said...

Wisdom, indeed. I've never thought about it exactly like that-- but of course you're right!

When I read the Old Testament-- I mean really read it, which sadly doesn't happen very often, I am surprized to find just how much it DOES have to say about God... how "big" and great He is, and how small I am, and why there is nothing more worthwhile in life than my serving Him. So maybe I should go read some OT stuff for a while....

Elaine Butler said...

I love the way the Old Testament shows us God's "druthers". He'd druther we obey Him than come up with elaborate sacrifices. He'd druther we walk and talk with our children, telling them of His faithfulness and provision. He'd druther we eat beef than pork. He'd druther we wash our hands before we eat it. Little things.