Wednesday, January 02, 2008

I Meet the Jetsons

Who would have ever thought such a thing? True, there was always the potential and possibility. But when one is a small boy he never considers the future. Only what he wants and wants to be in the present. But he never sees it as something that is in the future. The language used is that of a future tense, but it is not thought of as such.
It is the 2,008th year of our Lord. Not twenty years ago could I have imagined such a thing. Sure, I considered old age and future existence. But in that I did not consider the titles of the years that this life would exist through. 2000 was an oddity. 2005 was an amazement. And now here we are in 2008, a nice round number on the far side of the decade. And to think, I'm still considered young. I could be on this earth through half of the 21st century. Of course I'll be allegedly close to "retirement" by that point, probably have grandchildren, I'll have experienced the losses of at least a few of those I have loved and many I have known, and I will likely have a good deal less hair. (Though according to my friend's theory you never "lose" hair. It just starts growing out other places.) This is all assuming that I do, in fact, live to the middle of the century. Many--if not all--of my friends (past, current, and future) will have been married. Some of them possibly even divorced. My own children will--Lord willing--be mature, intelligent, Christ following, adults with families of their own. Knowing me I'd probably still be in contact with at least a few friends I have right now (assuming they are still alive), and chances are we would get together from time to time--if not on a regular basis--to make music and reminisce about the days when we might have actually sounded good.
I could not even begin to speculate as to what I would be doing with my life at that time, or where I'd be living. I have no way of knowing just what all I would endure in that time, or what my health would be like. I don't even know that I will be living on this earth by that time.
It's an interesting thing to think about--what it will be like when I die. Will it be like falling asleep here and waking up in heaven? Or perhaps it won't be like falling asleep at all, but more like leaving my body and I will see everything around me from the spiritual realm.
I'm sure whatever I could come up with, it wouldn't be at all correct. Of course I could come up with all kinds of fanciful ideas and images about what it would look like and feel like when I die. But all of that would be some sort of culmination of experiences I have had in my life so far; images I have seen, things I have felt, ideas I've been given. And most likely none of that would be anything like the real experience. So I'm not about to spend my whole life trying to figure out what it will be like to die. I'll find out eventually. Nothing like first hand experience, eh?
Anyway, from what I know of past experiences, I would speculate that one thing I will probably think--should I live to see the half-way-point of the 21st century--will be 'wow, I never would have thunk it. I'm alive in 2050. And we still don't have hover cars!'

1 comment:

Elaine Butler said...

Maybe you should get busy designing a hover car.