Saturday, February 23, 2008

I'm Actually Okay With This Right Now

Regret is a difficult thing to live with. I'm the kind of person who, after one short conversation or passing comment, is likely to return to that moment over and over for quite possibly the rest of his life either thinking about how he had said just the right thing, or (and most likely) thinking about the one thing he should have said instead. Even if it doesn't really make any difference what so ever what I say, I will return to that moment from time to time and continue thinking--and some times rehearsing--what I would rather have said, or done.
Thankfully there are some decisions that one never regrets making. I mean sure there are some things that are obviously good choices. Those are not of what I speak. I'm thinking more along the lines of things that one could do or not do and, again, it might not make any difference what so ever in the long run. But from my experience of continually revisiting my past and wishing I had done things a little bit different I'm slowly learning that there are some things that are better attempted and failed than left to be a regret in the back of the mind for the rest of life on this world.
Not everything is like this. There are many things one might bring himself to do thinking that if he doesn't he will regret it, when the truth is that he will only come to regret having done it. These kind of things are not the things of which I speak. I'm referring more to the kinds of things that are described in Philippians 4:8-9. Those are the kinds of things you never regret, not when all is said and done.

No comments: