Thursday, July 08, 2010

A Workman Aproved, That Is The Goal

The summer staff girls have been counseling for girls camp this week, which makes this "Man week" in the summer staff living area. It has been good, having a chance for the guys to come together away from the girls. At the same time it has been weird not having the girls around; the group doesn't feel complete.
Next week we start our middle school camp, which means that we will all be counseling. I am both excited and a little scared. Who knows what challenges this next week could bring.
As for the week at hand, It has been a lot of work for me. Literally, I have had the longest work days since band camp Saturdays (you should ask about those some time). But the real difficulty of this last week has been keeping a good attitude through the long days and all the little things that come up. As each new thing has been asked of me I've had to make a conscious decision to act immediately and positively. Those decisions can be especially hard when selfish thoughts begin to creep into my head. "You've got a long day ahead of you. Let someone else do it." "You've been working hard. Why not wait for someone else to take care of this?" And the most dangerous thought of all: "If only I didn't have to do this right now..."
Thank God, he continues to give me joy and energy in my work, and little encouraging blessings along the way. He reminds me always of two things: It's not about me, and he is my strength and my life. If this were about me, I could hold all kinds of complaints about this and that and the other thing. If this were about me, I could ask more of this and accept less of that. If this were about me, I could serve how I want to serve, and rest how I want to rest. But it's not about me. I didn't come here to work for me and my gain. I came here to serve God as he would have me serve. This isn't about me.
At the same time, God has, is and will always provide for me as I need--not necessarily as I want. God will bring about his justice--which is righteous and complete. This is a theme I continue to encounter as I've been working through the Psalms. It may not happen in my time or as I would wish it, but justice will prevail. The question is, when God enacts his justice will I be placed under his punishing hand or will I be held in his rewarding arms? Will I be marked as one disobedient to his father, or crowned as a faithful child of the king?
I want to be faithful and obedient, but it takes a lot of work, and patience, and humility, and reliance on God.
Please pray for me. And pray for my campers these next two weeks (Tween camp and Boys camp). Thanks.

1 comment:

Emily, a traveler said...

As always, your thoughts are very insightful and very appreciated. You ARE being prayed for ...