Thursday, July 01, 2010

Illness, Injury, And The Only Cure

How do I describe the week I just had?
It was so good, and so intense, and so sad, and so challenging. "So" isn't a very descriptive word.
I am in a very good place. God has worked on my attitude and given me great joy in the most mundane and previously innocuous tasks. Life is just better when it is filled with God's joy and pleasure in serving him.
The main challenge of this week came in the form of others' observations. It was brought to my attention by three different sources that there is a bug going through our community. This bug is a disease that effects our attitudes and out efforts. The first two notices intrigued me, but the third gave me cause for great concern and sent me straight to scripture to seek out the truth of the matter. The questions that were on my heart were these:
"Does something need to be said to this community?"
"Am I the one who needs to say it?"
"What needs to be said, and when?"
As of yet it has not been my place to address the community. However, since that day people have already begun to speak to the community pieces of what I found in my search. It has been very encouraging. And the words that I found have been shaping my attitude as I approach my own work, so even if I am not to address the community myself, I don't consider my efforts to be wasted.
Right now I am praying and waiting to see if and how the community is effected by what has been said. Who knows if I may yet be called to speak? I pray that God will give me wisdom in that, and love enough to speak truth where it is needed. I also pray that God will continue to work on my own heart and attitude so that I may be a light in the world and an ambassador of his truth.
Things are happening here; both frightening and wonderful things. If we can work together in unity and love--as God's body is intended to do--we can accomplish a great deal this summer, and in the years to come.
If, however, we allow the enemy to divide us and spoil our attitudes, we can only hope that God will redeem the mess that is created. Even so, we will lose so much in the opportunities God has given us this summer.
Only the Spirit of God can create in us such unity. Only the Spirit of God--which produces in us love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control--can teach us how to live well together in community. May his Spirit fill us each day.
Please pray for us, and continue praying for me.

No comments: