Sunday, January 01, 2017

Reflections on 2016

As I crossed the parking lot between the school and my house, breathing in the brisk, frigid air of a northern winter, I soaked in the crimson spectacle of the last light of December; the final Montana sunset of 2016. Years have come and gone, and so I don't tend to think about it much. But this breathtaking moment caused me to pause and consider the year that has passed. What have I done? What has been accomplished? I know things have happened, but in the rush of it all I find it hard to gather the events into the idea of a single year.
I ran a 10K, finished building a house, and completed my first grad course. I took several of my students to the state music festival, and even more to the honors music festival. I composed and arranged nearly ten musical pieces at least (I can't remember), and finally recorded all of the songs I have written (although I wrote another one a couple months later). I made a few new friends, and visited some old friends. I taught my nephew how to fist bump. I graduated my first freshman class (11 students), and started my fifth Kindergarten class (one student). I had the most successful and enjoyable (for my part) pep-band season of my career so far, and directed my students in leading an entire worship service for the sake of serving and blessing others as an act of worship to God. I recorded and edited a few video projects, and learned a thing or two about the people around me and the work they do every day. I read a few books (guessing between 25 and 40), worked on a few knitting projects--some of which will never see the light of day, but taught me a few things that will likely take my textile game up a notch. I wrote consistently over the entire summer. I sang for my sister's wedding, and have worked a lot on improving my piano skills (still not there in the sight-reading department).
There are probably a few other things I'm not remembering right now. And somewhere in the midst of all those things I also did some teaching and connecting with students. Sing, play, perform, here's a concert, have at it. All that good stuff.
It does appear to have been a full year. Right now it seems the world around us is very focused on all the things that went "wrong" over the last year. I won't deny that our world is in turmoil right now. This is not, however, a new thing. Jesus warned us that there would be wars, and rumors of wars, but that didn't mean he would be coming just yet; that didn't mean it was the end. Paul tells us that all creation groans as in the pains of childbirth. That's not a "meh" groan. That's more of a blood-curdling scream. But it is all in anticipation of a future redemption and glory.
What I'm trying to say is this: Not all is good in this life. It is not the fault of the Year of Our Lord 2016. It is our own sin, selfishness, pride, and apathy. We are not capable of fixing the problem. That has already been done, is being done, and will be done by one far greater than us. We can, however move forward in the light and life of God to fill the year 2017 with heaping piles of good things.
The next year could be another rough ride. There will be plenty of bad things happening around the world and in our neighborhoods throughout the year. But you and I can act in the power of God to make sure it isn't all bad. Don't live like a victim or a helpless bystander. Let's take action in our lives. Even simple disciplines to improve our own lives can be used to bless others. So go improve yourself! Or take what you already have and look for where it is needed. I don't know what you need to do this year, but God has some ideas. Ask Him!
Opportunities abound.
What can He do in and through us this year? What will you let Him do in and through you?

No comments: