Friday, November 11, 2005

G'Day Gov

Did you ever wonder what it would be like to ride giant bunny rabbits? Or better yet, what would it be like if we all wore our shoe laces so that they tie on the other end of the shoe?
No, I'm not on any drugs, and I'm not drunk. It's just that some times these random ideas and images pop into my head. Like this last Sunday.
I was at my church sitting in the worship service when I started thinking about English accents. Maybe I should try talking with one. But if I do that now all the people that know me will just think I'm being stupid and they'll tell me to quit. Where would I be that people wouldn't already know that I don't talk with an English accent. Hmm.... COLLEGE! That's it! I could have an English accent for my first year of college. No one that I know will be there. People will just think that that's the way I talk. It would certainly be something else. But then how could I do it? I might be able to pull off a first introduction, but after that I'd probably slip up sometime. I would have to start practicing using an English accent all the time before college started. I could start this summer. But then I'll be around all the people I know this summer and they'll tell me to "stop talking with that ridiculous accent." They wouldn't say that to a real Englishman. Hmmm....This could be difficult. Then, assuming I do manage to pull it off, what will I do my second year of college? Should I continue with my new found voice? Or should I freak out all the people that I've met at college with my Oregonian drawl? Hmmm....Perplexing.
You can understand how difficult it must be to be me. It's something I have to deal with every day. (Sigh)
But seriously now, I do think of the weirdest things at the most random times. My friends always look at me with these faces that say "I'm not sure I heard you quite right. Did you say what I think you just said? How in the world did you come to this thought? I can't even come to it after you said it. You're weird." I picture is worth a thousand words. A live face is worth a million. But I can't read that fast, so this is all I can tell you from their faces.

1 comment:

Elaine Butler said...

That reminds me of Barbara Remington. She ran a ballet studio in Portland. She was VERY fussy about the piano music I should play for her ballet classes, and she talked with a decided Russian accent. I don't know if there was any truth to it, but the rumor passed through the OTHER ballet studios said that Barbara Remington wasn't Russian at all. She just used the accent to make everyone think she had Russian Ballet experience, so she could charge more for her classes.

Maybe it was just sour grapes because they didn't think of it first.

Maybe...