Monday, August 07, 2006

No Ink Stains On This Summer, Eh?

Want to know something crazy?
Last Summer I was gone two different times for three weeks at a time. That's half the Summer right there.
This year I was gone for one week, and I'll be gone for one more week before I go back to school.
So here is the weird thing.
Last summer I posted a bunch.
This summer...well...you can still see posts from before school was out on the main page, and the main page only shows the last seven or so posts.
Explanation: My mind has been kind of full lately.
It would seem like I would then have a lot of stuff to put in my blog, but no, that's not true.
Actually the way it works is like this:
The more I have on my mind, the harder it is for any of it to come out of my mind.
I think I need to go back to writing by hand. Not everything, just do some writing in that format. I've found that when I write by hand it's a lot more relaxing. The words flow out on to the page...well, here, I'll explain it with an excerpt from a paper I wrote in my AP English class:
"Slowly, one by one, my thoughts begin to fall out of my head onto the once blank page. As each thought comes forward more thoughts begin to take notice of the portal through which they can escape. Soon the page is filling, the pen is flying, and the thoughts are crowding the gate; almost preventing any thoughts from coming through. So many ideas, words, and indescribable concepts come forth that I can scarcely decide which ones are worthy of this paper."
......
"The pen screams to be freed from the limiting grasp of my hand. All my thoughts are like magma squeezed against the crust of the earth. If only there was a way for every one of those thoughts to burst forth from my mind onto the pages of this small book."
This is often what happens when I write.
When I type I produce a different kind of writing. When I free-type about something I usually reach forward and fight my way toward an unknown end. The mental process is similar to when I free-write, but the feel is different.
Free-writing is more of an unleashing of what has been building up in my head.
Free-typing is more of a mechanical process working mathematically, scientifically, theologically and philosophically toward an ultimate product.
I like free-typing. I really enjoy going through the process, and realizing the outcome.
However, free-writing is more of a relaxing release. It helps me to see what is really going on in my head. Some times it helps me to take what's in my head and actually work through it so that I can get some kind of closure or release from certain things.
All this to say,
I need to do more free-writing.
(And did I mention the cool knuckle ink-stains...I'm left handed...I smear...ink knuckles happen.)

4 comments:

Carina said...

ok, i'll take your word for it.

Elaine Butler said...

Thanks. That was a good blog. I know what you mean about the difference between hand- and type-writing. The brain really does work differently. It's kind of scary that so few people write with pens these days. Whole sections of brains quietly wasting away...

Carina said...

i write in PEN!!!!!

Carina said...

yess!!!! I'M smart!!!!!!

Thanks kin for the information and elaine for backing it up!