Thursday, August 24, 2006

So Long? What's That Supposed To Mean?

These last couple days...no, these last couple weeks have been kind of weird. I'm off to college on Saturday, and it almost feels like I'm leaving this town forever. To be honest, I would love to be able to come back and live here for the rest of my life after college, but I don't know if that will be possible. The thing is, I'm going into the ministry, and I have no idea where God is going to send me. But what is the likelihood that He will send me right back where I came from. Jesus himself said that a prophet has no honor in his home town. Now, I'm not saying that I'm a prophet, but if you think about it there is a lot of applicable sense to it. If I were to come back here and become a youth pastor or something like that, there might be people who wouldn't take me very seriously simply because they have known me since I was a child. Or they would think that I was just prideful for trying to teach people who at one time taught me.
On the other hand, I do have a very good reputation in this town and people already do take me fairly seriously. There is also the added factor that many pastors miss out on--the accountability that comes with relationships. If people have known me for so long, they might feel more comfortable approaching me as a person and not as a 'higher being' that they call a pastor. They have seen me as a person with no title what-so-ever, and they might not think so differently of me if I were to come back.
There are a lot of variables, and a plethora of possibilities. However, no matter what the possibilities are, I will still have to follow the call of the Lord wherever he might take me.
God bless.

1 comment:

Fencemender said...

Plethora? Is that in Illinois?