Wednesday, August 08, 2007

The Last, Best Hope For Mankind

Hope. What is it? Why do we have it? Do we have it? What does it mean?

The way our culture has come to understand hope is in the sense of a wishy washy feeling that stirs one to excitement over something they long for. It's nothing more than a wish made on a shooting star. 'I hope this will happen', 'I hope I don't have to do this', 'I hope', ' I hope', 'I hope'. Nothing solid, only the dreams of our desires. Even the 'hope' that people speak of when there is only one chance left for success--"our last, best hope"--even that is never certain (though it always seems to work out in the movies.)

I have found one place, however, where hope is not just a fantasy of the mind. The Bible speaks of the hope that we find in Christ, and in the promises of God. In Christ because he truly is the last best hope for mankind. And in the promises of God because God cannot lie. The author of Hebrews describes that hope as "an anchor for the soul, firm and secure." (Heb 6:19)
And what is the hope we find in God's promises and in Christ's salvation? Surely it is not hope for this life alone. Paul clearly says "If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are to be pitied more than all men." (I Cor 15:19) But as God's children we are promised a place in Him both here on earth and in heaven.

We have a hope; a solid and definite hope. We have a hope in a perfect and beautiful relationship with the creator of the universe. With this hope comes great peace and joy. This is the best hope man has ever known.
So why do we christians continue to seek out these trivial wishes that we call 'hopes and dreams'. Life on this planet is hard, and so we 'hope' that things will be better just around the corner. Even for those who have a 'good life'--as some would call it--with a nice job, nice house, nice family, and all the fixings for what we as humans call 'good'--even those people have struggles that they 'hope' will disappear. I have hoped for such things. But we are told quite clearly that we will meet with trials in this life. We know that there will be struggles and difficulties. We know that we will be wronged, and that there may be nothing we can do about it.
So where should we find our hope? Should we look for it in another town? Perhaps in our next big break? Maybe in a relationship with another person? Where is our anchor? Is it on this planet? Or is it in our God and Father who not only has a place for us in heaven, but also holds a place for us in him this very day?

It just saddens me to hear and see my brothers and sisters going through life as if they don't really have any true hope. It saddens me because they have heard of the greatest, truest, most definite hope of all time, and yet they still live miserable lives, trudging along until the next best thing comes. I've seen it over and over. And I have no doubt that I'll see it many times again before my time on this planet is through.

Well, 'nough said. Laters.

No comments: