Friday, August 10, 2007

Word To My Brothers

So, my brother is gone for a week. Well, one of my brothers at least. The one with whom I share a room, to be exact. Yeah, I have three brothers and two sisters. I have to say, it's really interesting to see how different each one is, and yet at the same time there are so many similarities. I was actually told just this evening by one of my friends that when they are around me they are able to see the connection between all my brothers. That comment caught me off guard. I wasn't sure what to do with that. So I asked what they meant.
Some of it I was able to figure out on my own. I have a nonsensical side similar to my oldest brother, and an analytical element somewhat akin to that of my next older brother. The part that stumped me was the youngest. What in the world did I have in common with him--besides the fact that he has the same hair (it's okay though, 'cause he has a completely different style.) I asked my friend where there could possibly be any similarities in our personalities. The response: his sense of humor. Maybe what she meant was the way that we can both find just about any situation humorous if we think it appropriate. I think that would be where I draw the line.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not dissing on my brother's sense of humor. He just has some development yet to go through. I can remember being where he is at humoristically. I do think though that he might not understand the whole 'appropriate time' thing. But nobody is perfect.
Anyway, it's an interesting thing to think about, the similarities and differences in siblings. I mean, I look back at my childhood, and it just makes sense that I would turn out the way I did. I can see how I could end up with those traits that are similar to my siblings--at least my older ones.
Growing up I spent a lot of time playing with my oldest brother. I don't know if he had much of it before I came along, but it seemed to me like we developed our nonsensical humor together. Really that's the only way that kind of humor works. Either it works off of what the other person just said, or it requires that the other person at least understand it. 'Cause it might not make any sense what so ever. Or it might just take a mind that is attuned to it in order to decipher it.
As far as my analytical side goes--or came, to be more precise--"I grew up with my brother". Anyone who knows my brother would understand once I give that statement. The only way to get through my childhood without legally loosing possession everything I had was to learn how to decipher my brothers words. I had to learn how to look at phrasing and search for any loopholes or technicalities that might exist. That's exactly what he did, and he was good at using it to work his way around systems. He's not evil, just very good at what he does. I don't think exactly like him. Far from it. But I know how to analyze to an extent.
Now, when it comes to my little brother I can only guess that he got it from me...or he just made it up. I'm pretty sure I did not learn it from him.

So yeah, my older brother is gone for a week. It's kinda' nice. I have yet to live in a situation where I get my own room. So I take advantage of, and thoroughly enjoy the times when my room mate is away--wherever I'm living at the time. I've been living it up this week. Staying up as late as I want, listening to music while I go to sleep, closing the door all the way at night (yeah, something about oxygen. I don't get it.) It's a good life.
I'm not sure what it would be like to have a room completely to myself. There would probably be a lot less stuff that belonged to someone else. It would probably be just as messy. Though it would be a lot easier to clean up, because I wouldn't have to wonder where something went, or if it was okay to throw something away.
Anyway, for a week I'm free. Laters.

No comments: