Saturday, October 01, 2005

Class Of Two-Thousand ME!

I've been thinking about college a lot lately. It has finally hit me. Up until this last week I have never really thought that I might go to college. I didn't even ever really want to. Sure, I did everything I could last year to get as much education as I could so that I could go to college, but that was for my parent's sake. It never really was in my mind that I would actually go. This school year I kept on thinking that I needed to start looking into it, colleges and scholarships. The bug didn't really bite until after the senior college and scholarship meeting on Wednesday this week.
I went home that night and went online. I didn't know what I was looking for. I didn't even know where to start. So I started with the only thing I had.
In the last three months I received some info from Corban college because that's where they held summer seminary, and my info happened to slip into their hands. Anyway, the point is they sent me some info. So I decided--not having anywhere else to look--to start with Corban.
I went to their website and looked around. I checked everything from their offered majors to their staff roster to their doctrinal statement. The more I looked at it the more I liked the idea of actually studying there. (If my mother and/or father are reading this, don't get any ideas. I'll take care of this, thank you)
With the rest of the week I looked into what I would have to do to get anywhere. I signed up for the SAT test. I picked up scholarship applications. I looked at other colleges on line. But the more I looked at other colleges and other possible majors the more I liked the idea of Corban.
It's a nice size: small. It's a nice location, and I don't mean what they are advertising: "one hour to the coast, and one hour to Portland." I mean I've been there and it's really not too far from where I want to be. It could be much farther. It's also, in my opinion, a nice campus. The whole place is within tree cover. It might be thin and scattered tree cover, but it's trees none-the-less. I like trees. It makes me feel more at home. And it's easier on the eyes. Who wants to look at a bunch of buildings every day. There may be some people out there who do, but not me. I like trees. (did I already say that?)
It's strange. The more I think about it--college and all--the more I can actually see myself going. Really the only thing I wouldn't like about it would be that I would have to leave all my friends. I have no doubt that I would make new friends. I seem to have that effect. I don't find myself being alone in a crowd for very long. And if I were to spend four years at college, I would definitely have friends by then. I went to high school for one year and came out with a large group of friends. Most of my friends I could be okay with leaving. It would be sad, but it wouldn't be heart breaking. My closest friends, however, would be a bit more difficult to leave. I'm sure I could do it, but I know I would miss them greatly.
These last two summers at summer seminary when the Corban people gave their sales pitch I kept thinking "Yeah, yeah. You keep going. You won't be seeing me coming here in this lifetime." I never thought much of colleges. Just a bunch of people trying to make themselves look good so that they can get your money. That's what they were in my mind. A plague that was necessary in order to become anything big in the worlds eyes. I never wanted to be big in the worlds eyes, so in my eyes college wasn't very pertinent.
Now the more I look into different colleges and different majors the more Corban looks like it's exactly what I want. Okay, maybe not exactly. But it's pretty darn close. I don't know what exactly I want. But I don't think I want to live on a campus with thousands of students, and hundreds of teachers who don't have time to focus on individuals at all, and large campuses that almost require a car just to get from one class to the next in a reasonable time. I also can't think of anything else that I would rather study than God. I mean, there are a lot of things that interest me, and I do enjoy learning all kinds of stuff. But God is one of the most fascinating topics to study and discuss. I would just love to spend entire nights talking with other students, and entire classes talking with professors, about the greatest love of my life. There is so much to learn. I don't want to have to wait 'till I get to heaven to learn it all. I want to know some of it now.
I continue to pray on the matter. May God's will be done. If he should so choose, I shall go to Community college.
Laters.

6 comments:

In the end said...

I wouldnt want to go to a christain college, I mean, dont get me wronge or anything, I love God and learning about him, but I would want to have people I can minister too outside the church bubble. I dont know many non-christains cause I dont go anywhere there isnt. but thats just me.

Elaine Butler said...

OK, I read it, but it's your life. Go for it. Whatever It is.

Stephanie said...

I hear you. This time of your senior year is a little rough. Heh, this time of my 'freshman in college' life is a little rough. When I was going through it I seem to remember someone told me to just keep waiting on God. I'm still not entirely sure I made the right decision as I sit here at CCC but I'm still waiting on God. I'm confident He'll show you.
And for Ben-- there is so much ministry to do at a christian school! It's crazy there are so many people proclaiming the name of Christ that yet need someone to come and speak truth in thier lives. *nods* Yeah... I'm beginning to ramble...

Michael said...

Actually, Teh, I think it's one of the requirements of Corban to be involved in so many ministry things before graduating, or something like that. Don't take my word on that. Seems like that was something it said. I can't remember now. I'll stop typing at this point riiiiiiighhht.....HERE!

P.S.
Steph is right. Out reach is great, but there is also a lot to be said for in-reach. It's also something a lot of christians would rather avoid.

Eric said...

I wouldn't dismiss "teh's" idea so quickly; non-Christians aren't that bad. I know what they all say, but we don't really eat babies. It's also a good opportunity to expand your horizons... to get some practice in shifting your perspective.
But hey, if you'd prefer a Christian college, then by all means, you should follow your desires. There's something to be said about other colleges, as well, though.

Michael said...

I have ruled nothing out. I will go where the Lord will lead me.