Thursday, December 15, 2005

Here A Word. There A Word....

How is it that I am capable of writing the things that a have placed in the blog that I call my "Home Page". If you knew me--some of you might--you would know that, though I may be a real talker at times, I am usually very reserved. And I hardly ever, in person, talk about the serious kinds of things that I post. How do I do this? Why is it that words come out so much easier when they are typed on a computer than when they are spoken to a friend.
There might be some comfort in the physical distance between myself and you, the readers. I can say all I want without having to see your expressions as you find these things out about me. I don't have to worry about a particular set of ears receiving this news. It's just easier.
Perhaps there is something in the writing process that brings it out. I know that as words pour from my mind onto paper--or in this case onto a computer screen--my mind is able to get a better grasp on them and put multiple ideas together. There is something about the writing process that helps me think about ideas in a greater perspective. Most of the 'deep' things that I write come to me as I am writing. I step up to the key board with no idea what I am going to write about, and before I know it I have a novel of contemplation. The ideas and thoughts come to me as I write out my thoughts. Usually the biggest realizations start with the smallest thoughts. "I am tired. Why am I tired? blah bla bla blah blah blah..." And out comes some big long thing about where I am in my tired state. Writing gets my brain moving.
I know that I don't usually get these kind of ideas and thoughts while I'm talking with people. In fact, usually when I come to someone with the intent of talking about something important I have been planning what I am going to say for the last few days...maybe weeks...sometimes months. Yet, for some reason, when I actually get to talk with them I find myself lacking in the vocalization department. I come with lots to say, and leave having explained it in a few simple words.
Hmmm. I see a pattern. When I come to blog: I come with nothing in mind to write, and end up writing large amounts of information and thought.
When I come to talk: I come with large amounts of information and thoughts to say, but end up saying very little.
I can just see the wheels spinning in Robbie's head right now. There might be something about expectation in here somewhere.
I come in with high expectation, I leave with a low yield.
I come in with low expectation, I leave with a high yield.
The yield is inversely proportionate to the expectation.
Well, whatever it is, I'm here to stay, folks. So, enjoy. Laters.

5 comments:

Anna said...

I have come to realize this too BUT only when I am in situations that make me nervous. When I am around someone who makes me nervous or uncomfortable it is hard for me to say what I have planned because I just want to say it and get it over with but if it is with someone I am totally comfortable with I can take the time to think about it and keep dialouging til I get it all said and if I don't I am still confortable enough to bring it up again at some point. IDK.

Wiseman365 said...

I can't say i understand when i write i have to sit there and think for hours before anything happens.

Michael said...

Well, that's ok, Wiseman. You're good with your speech anyway anyway.

Wiseman365 said...

Thanx!!

Michael said...

Dern right I did it. I told you it would happen.