Saturday, August 27, 2005

Future vs. Past

I was just at a potluck at my friends house. It was pretty cool. Food, friends, and I even got to play the card game that I invented when I went camping with the Mayers at the beginning of the summer. Ben and I played horse shoes. You know, that game where you throw the horse shoe and try to get it around the metal stake. We didn't start out so good. We would throw the shoes and they would hit the ground somewhere near the stake, but then they would keep on rolling way past the stake. It was great.
By the end of the day we had improved so much that I was able to get closest to the stake most of the time. Ben even managed to make four ringers. I was impressed.
On the other side of the time spectrum, seeing as it is more of a futuristic thing and horse shoes has been around for a long time, we saw a hover craft. One of the guys that was invited to the potluck brought a little more than a casserole. He was also towing a real, live, working hover craft. Apparently he deigned it himself. It was pretty cool. Like one of those things that you know exist somewhere, but you know you will never see one unless it's on a TV screen. Shows how much I know.
While I'm on the topic of futuristic things I think I'll mention what happened to me yesterday. I went to go do some work for a guy who calls me whenever he needs some odd job done. This time I was to paint his new shed. But first I had to have paints and brushes. So we went for a little drive down to the True value in town. This drive was made in his new hybrid car.
I had never been in a hybrid before in my life. I always thought they were a bit obsessive towards saving the planet, and potentially really expensive. I'll admit now that I was wrong. I was quite impressed by the technology involved and all the things that had been put into consideration. That thing could get 52 miles to the gallon. It only has a ten gallon tank, but that's enough to get you 520 miles. Now that's spiffy. The coolest feature, in my opinion, was that while driving whenever you put your foot on the break it takes the energy created by the friction of the breaks and puts that energy into the battery. I know, I'm a nerd. I liked physics, and I not only thought it was cool, I understood it.
It was kind of weird sitting in it though (the car, not physics class). The only thing on the dash board that I recognized was the stereo. Everything else was digital. The mileage, speed, climate control: all of it was on the electronic touch display. It looked futuristic.
Live long and prosper. Laters.

No comments: