Monday, July 18, 2005

Are You Ready For This?

I've been getting a bit of flack about how I haven't yet addressed any of my experiences from camp on my blog. Well, for those of you still curious... tough luck! I think I'll keep you guys in suspense just a little bit longer.

Ten Seconds Later:
Ok that's long enough.

So I guess the first thing I should talk about is what happened to me at summer seminary.
First of all I would like to explain, for those of you who don't really know what summer seminary is, that it is not just a camp. In fact it really isn't a camp, Or even a camp experience. Sure it might have started off at Wasco County Fair-grounds with a group called Reachout Expeditions Who's goal is to take rafting, hiking, and climbing trips with people to show them God's creation. That might seem like a "camp" kind of thing. However, the only reason summer seminary goes on the rafting trip (which was totally excellent by the way) is so that these fifty-some kids have an opportunity, before having to work together, to develop relationships and team-work skills. That and, as I mentioned, it's a really fun thing to do.
But the point I was going to make is that Summer seminary is not a camp. It is, for the most part, one week in which fifty-some high schoolers learn from twenty-some adults and three professors about the truths of God and how we can better serve him. It isn't a cake walk.
There is an hour each day in which we sit in small classroom settings learning theology from college professors. Then there is another hour each day in which we learn how we can be more effective in our particular ministries. Then, after lunch (which is always really good), we have three hours in which we put together something within our individual tracks to add to the evening service.
The whole thing is a lot of work. Last year I went for the worship track, and played the drums for the worship each night. This year I went for the leadership track. What we did for the service each night was put it together and run it. It involved a lot of running around to find out what the other tracks had for each night, and figuring out how to piece it all together. Then we had to keep things moving during the service.
Like I said, Not camp.
Don't get me wrong though. It was great experience. And I had a great, and yes even a fun time. It's amazing being around so many firm Christians. It's also really encouraging to see so many at my age that are following the lords call in their lives.
I'll have to tell you guys more about it some other time.

No comments: