Saturday, July 23, 2005

It's A Doozy

Today I was getting ready for the beach. For those of you who didn't know, I'm going to the beach this week for a "vacation". (I guess that's what they call it. I don't know much about them.) Tomorrow my Dad and I head out to Rockaway. The rest of the family will come out on Wednesday. It will be a great time to have peace and quiet. I can finish the last book for my summer assignment.
Anyway, today was prep-day. Most people might prep for the beach by getting things together: Towel, sun-screen, umbrella, etc. I however went about it a bit differently. See I've been doing this whole packing thing so much these last couple months, I could probably do it in my sleep. So you want to know how I preped for the beach, today? Ok. Here's the big secret. I did laundry. Can't go anywhere without clean clothes.
I played a lot of guitar, sat at the compy for more than a few hours total, and even went for a walk. Since I mentioned it, (and since it's what I wanted to write about anyway) I'll explain what happened on said "walk".
I had been playing my guitar, and seeing that it was really sunny outside I decided to go for a walk around town, as I often do just before leaving from or returning to town. It didn't really matter what time it was, I just wanted to go for a walk. The dryer had a couple hours to go, so I was free to leave.
After walking around for a little while I remebered that the high schoolers from my church were coming back from camp today. I didn't know when they were supposed to arrive so I B-curved it to the church. (No. I did not mean b-lined, 'cause I didn't go in a strait line. I took the more indirect rout. The B-curve.)
When I got to the church, sure enough, they had just gotten back. I walked over, greeted everyone (Joy, Brian, and Carina), and proceeded to ask questions about their week while answering to inquiries about my own.
The reason I wanted to write about this was not because it was some big deal. And it wasn't to kill time, or to fill in a post for the day. Talking with all these people from my church was kind of weird. Like I had been gone for a long time or something. Almost like it wasn't natural for me to be talking with these people. It was like talking with a friend that you haven't seen for years. The connection is there, but you don't know what to say or talk about.
One might wonder, "Why such feelings and thoughts about friends from ones own church when they have only been gone a week?" Well, there is that week that they've been gone. And the three weeks prior when I was absent. Still, that hardly seems reason for such thoughts. The real reason for all of it is this. I have recently (this week) changed churches.
I had been thinking about making such a change for a while. Around six months to be exact. The only reason I stayed as long as I did was that I thought God hadn't finished using me where I was. At summer seminary I was able to figure out what it was that I needed that I wasn't getting from the church I was at. It's not that there is necessarily anything wrong with the church. It just isn't right for me at this time.
So basically I am mentally detached from that church. And, even though it has practically been like a second home to me for the last few years, I felt like I was in a place that was only part of my ancient past. I was talking with old friends. It all seemed so distant.
I'm really confused right now. And a bit tired from doing all that laundry. I'll be gone for a week. I might post on Saturday. Laters.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kin,
Louis say you walk past his house today. I was talking to him on the phone and he was like "Your friend Kin just walked by." yeah just thought I'd let ya know.
I hope the new indevor of changing churches works for you. I know that I haven't gone to church in a while, but I too am changing churches soon. Cause I'm going to find a church when I go to Eastern Oregon University.

Yours Truly, Rosie

Fencemender said...

God really has you on a fast track! Actually, to Him it is just a "graduation" from years of preparation for this decision. People in my circles call that a "suddenly". Brace yourself for more suddenlies, my friend.