Thursday, June 16, 2005

DJ Kin-Dog

First I would like to make it clear that I was given the name Kin-Dog. It was not my idea. Come to think of it, I got that name while bowling, years ago. Weird!
Ok. So, after our little excursion last night to the bowling alley we were driving home. I suppose I shouldn't say "we" were driving, 'cause Jessie was the only one driving. Anyway, the point is we were on our way home when someone puts a CD in the stereo. We start listening to it when all of a sudden Stephanie says, "Oh! This CD is like the theme CD of my junior year", or something to that effect. Well I started thinking about it, and I thought, "I have a lot of CDs that are the theme CDs of my junior year." And, yet, not every song on those CDs are the theme of said year. So I got this idea. Why not take all those songs that signify my junior year of high school and put them all on one CD?
Thus, this has become my new project. This morning I went through all the CDs that played a large role in my life this last year and found all my favorite songs on them. The only problem was that I ended up with 36 songs. But I had anticipated the fact that I wouldn't be able to put all my favorite songs in the mix. So, I then went through the list and scratched off all the songs that didn't actually have any historical meaning for the year. That cut it down to about 20 songs.
Now, I figure this CD will only be able to hold about 15 songs tops. Besides, if there were any more than that, I'm sure it would be an obnoxiously long CD. For this reason, 15 is the limit.
Seeing as I had to eliminate five songs I went back through the list. I then proceeded to scratch out any songs that didn't have any profound meaning to me. I got it down to 15 songs.
The only problem I have left to deal with is the order I want the songs in. Originally I was thinking chronological, but I tossed that idea. I'll figure something out.
I had the idea of producing this mix and then selling it on E-bay. However, I decided against that idea because it violates a lot of copy rights. That, and it makes my junior-year mix subject to horrendous rejection. A good dose of reality for my ego, but a waste of perfectly good CDs.

3 comments:

Eric said...

This is absolutely freakish, because I started doing exactly the same thing yesterday after an old song I used to enjoy popped into my head while taking one of those crazy "I think too much" walks. See, I have very many songs that fit such a description, and there's not the slightest clue they'll fit all onto a single CD... so I decided to do a mix that spans several CDs in chronological order of when I listened to the music and what it means to me. Maybe you might consider turning yours into a multiple CD set, as well?

Michael said...

Someone else gave me the same suggestion. A multiple CD set with every song that I had origonally put on th list. However, I decided against that idea because I don't really want all the songs that I listend to. I only want the major points so that I don't have to switch CDs just to listen to them.
Actually there are only four or five songs that were really key to the past year. But there were entire CDs that had definite meaning in themselves. So, I thought it would be a good idea to put one or two songs from those CDs in the mix. Thus, I have 15 songs.

Michael said...

P.S.
Chronological order doesn't support the multy CD set idea either. As I picked up each CD throughout the year I would listen to it... A LOT. So, chronological order would just be puting those CDs that I already have in the order that I got them in, which I can do without burning new CDs.
But thanks for the input. I look forward to seeing "Eric's music mania multy-disc set" on info-mercials some day. Just a thought.