Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Hmm...

The time has come. I have been at this computer most of the day, and have put off this post until I had actually experienced the day. I thought that to be the best way to do it. Seeing as I can't honestly write about a day that hasn't really happened yet.
Really it hasn't been very eventful.
You know what? Strike that! This day has been very eventful.
I read around ten chapters of "The Da Vinci Code", one of the books that is on my summer reading list. Now I know that some people hear of that book and think that it is not fit for christian consumption. Well, to those I would say, "then stay away from it." I say this with the utmost respect of course. If you are not able to read such things with a clear conscience then that's perfectly ok.
Do not fret for me though. I say this not because I see myself as being a "super christian", but rather because I am blessed with the abililty to read a book without it becoming a truth in my mind. It remains a story. (Regardless, there are still a lot of books that I won't read.)
In all honesty this book is more sad than tempting. Reading about all these characters that believe all these strange things that will "save" them, and knowing that some people really believe this stuff brings sadness to my heart. And the strong faith these characters have, if only such faith was in the hearts of christians today. We would have faith and truth. Imagine what could be done in the name of the Lord.
Then there is the unity that they have. They aren't fighting over trivial matters within their religion. And again, here the christian church is often too busy fighting with each other to work together.
Why is it that people with such understanding of these things so often turn to false teachings?

No comments: