Saturday, June 11, 2005

A Sad Farewell

I have decided to devote this particular post to one of my greatest supporters throughout this entire year of high school... My shoes.
These black vans went with me the whole way. From the beginning of the year when they were new, crisp, and still had that new-shoe smell, all the way to the last day of school when the soles were so soft I could feel every bump in the road as I walked home from school.
I would like to take a moment to describe these things of magnificent beauty, and I think I shall try to do it in poem form. Don't laugh. But if you do then by all means don't stop. Ok, here I go.

Oh, this thing of great feeling,
Of great expression.
Were I to dare feign attempt to describe
The blackness that is your majesty,
I surely would fail to match the power
That radiates from your soul.

The mossy greens that line your in most being,
And the glistening sheen on your heels,
Neither of these can be compared
Even to a Summer's day.

Oh, the letters and words on the tip of your tongue
Speak volumes of the feet you bore.
Your width like that of the oceans,
Your length like that of the Chinese wall.

Long has your journey been,
And great has been your struggle.
The flowing V that adorns your side,
And the glorious banner that you wave,
Shall forever more be held in high regard.
For you have brought honor and beauty
To the name
VANS.


Thank you. These guys have been my primary support the whole way though the year. Whenever I wasn't wearing them I was wearing my dress shoes, and those can get a little uncomfortable.
I thought I should give them a little recognition today because today they went into retirement. That's right. I got new shoes today. The old ones will still be around. I bring them out of retirement for jobs like mowing the lawn, when I can't walk around the house in grassy shoes because people in my house have allergies. So I bring them out, cut the grass, put them away, and don my newer shoes.
I try not to think about it as "replacing" them. That just sounds cruel. I prefer to think of it as, "they are tired, worn out, and need a rest." That way we all get what we need. My old shoes get a break, and I don't have any holes in the shoes I'm wearing.
So, for the last time, thank you, my vans. I will never forget you. That is, unless I develop alzhimer's.

No comments: