Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Miles and Miles of Little Brown Piles

Day #3 Camping:
The day was farelly un-eventful. I slept in 'till somewhere around 9:00. That was nice. Then we had chili-dogs for lunch. Those were delicious. But the really excitement of the day started shortly after lunch.
I had been sitting there in front of the fire, as I had done for a great part of the last two days. I had nothing to do with myself other than eat. (Eating when I'm bored is a habit I have recently been breaking myself of.) After I started feeling as though I had definitely eaten too many milk-duds and fruit-snacks I decided that I should go for a walk to clear my head and to think.
I stood up and mentioned that I was going for a walk, so Ben said "That's a good idea" and got up to go with me. So we set off with no idea what was in store for us that day.
I had no plan as to how far I was going, or how long it would take. All I knew was that I was going for a walk. So we walked. We didn't talk a whole lot, but that's ok 'cause I wanted to think for a while anyway.
Eventually we came upon the sign post for the trail. It read something like this:
"South-Shore Trail
Distance of path
around Timothy lake
13 Miles"
I had absolutely no intention of going all the way around that lake. Regardless though, I began calculating the time it would take and the potential of actually doing it. It would definitely be an interesting experience. But, alas, I didn't know whether or not Ben, with his bum knee, would be able to make it, and in time for dinner.
So with absolutely no intention of going very far we continued walking. Eventually we crossed a bridge that went over the dam of the lake. On the other side of the bridge there was a park sign. It had a map of the lake, as well as a "you are here" arrow. We took a look at it. I asked Ben which camp ground our base-camp was located at. He assured me that is was the one furthest from our current position. With that in mind I figured that we were one third of the way around the lake.
It was at that point that I pitched the idea to Ben.
"Want to keep going? We can just keep walking and see how far we can get. And hey! If we get far enough there wouldn't even be any point in turning around."
The whole time I had no intention of turning around. Unless of course Ben found himself unable to continue forward.
Well, he liked the idea and we ended up having ourselves a grand adventure. 13 miles of laughs, tears, sweat, and blood. (Ben got a blister on each of his feet.) Now I can look at that lake, and honestly point at any spot around it and say "I have been there".
I would still like to go around the edge of it in a boat and see how far the perimeter is, cause there were a lot of places where the trail went way back into the woods, There by increasing the distance greatly. Someday... someday.

P.S. It was also a horse trail. Hence the title.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've biked around that trail. I'm jealous. Courtney and I wanted to go camping there this weekend, but I have to move instead. Way to avoid helping me slacker! J/K, I'm just jealous.